- Complete a career goal card and essay.
- Purpose is to be sure students are aware of careers available and the path needed to reach their career goals.
- Career path exploration unit
- Students operate a production greenhouse, aquaponics growing system and a school flower shop.
- John Deere Gators are just one piece of equipment students are taught to use in their practical landscape experiences.
- Students plant and maintain vegetable and herb gardens on campus.
- Aquaponics/Hydroponics/Aeroponic Systems
- Food Production and Sustainable Horticulture
- Students operate power cultivators, edgers, weed whackers and leaf blowers.
- Students participate and compete in annual PA Farm Show.
- FFA Membership
Curriculum and Occupational Titles:
- Floral Design
- Interior Plantscape
- Greenhouse Management
- Sustainable Horticultural Practices
- Plant and Soil Science
- Students also learn plant identification, basic plant biology, propagation techniques and business and managerial skills.
- New technologies in Horticulture including soilless and sustainable growing systems
- KNOWLEDGE – chapter packets, classroom instruction, slide presentations, vocabulary and industry math
- WORK ETHIC – attendance, class preparedness, participation in class discussion, educational field trip participation, weekly work logs and exit tickets. Points are deducted from students weekly employability grade if they fail to meet criteria.
- SKILLS – based on levels of proficiency according to the student’s progress through the task list
- Students who complete the program will receive OSHA certification and a PA Skills certificate if they score advanced on the NOCTI test.
- Students will receive professional safety instruction and certification by completing 25 individual modules through Greenius, LS Training Systems.
- Planet Landscape Safety Training
- First Aid Certification is also available.
- Students are required to wear long pants made from denim or other durable fabric, a lab shirt, and work boots or heavy leather shoes.
- Work gloves and safety glasses are also required.
- Students are required to purchase a program shirt, work gloves, safety glasses and classroom supplies ($40)
- Activity Fee $20 (includes FFA membership)
- Students are given classroom procedures page which they are expected to follow.
- Students will be given a horticulture binder and weekly work logs or exit tickets.
- Students will maintain a portfolio.
- Teamwork is essential to the working of the lab and is expected.
- Long pants (denim or other durable fabric)
- Lab shirt
- Safety glasses
- Protective gloves
- Work boots or heavy leather shoes
- May need a hard hat for certain jobs
- Must follow NMTCC Code of Conduct.
- Career objective essay
- Duty/task check off list
- Skills and description sheets
- FFA materials
- Community service reports
- Additional awards
- Penn State University
- Temple University
- DelVal University
- Penn College of Technology
- Keystone College
- Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades
- Longwood Gardens